Thursday 21 August 2014

Starting the Montessori Journey.

Journey; a bit of a naff way to describe it, but honestly, I can't think of a better word. My aim is to raise a child who is confident, curious and able. The journey is really about figuring out what works and how to get to the end point and all the ups and downs along the way.

And, it's a minefield out there. There is a humungous volume of information not only on raising kids, parenting, feeding, sleeping, disciplining, etc, etc, etc but Montessori too.

So this blog is to help me be organised, critical and reflective of the journey. I don't know what's best, I'm just figuring it out and hopefully along the way you, dear readers, will join me, help me and share your ideas.

My story is simple: I went to a Montessori Pre-school in 1987 with my twin sister, it was run by the most amazing teacher I have ever had, Tara. I have fond memories and when I was pregnant decided to look into it to see if there was anything in my area (Bendigo, Victoria, Australia) and to my surprise I found out there isn't. So I started reading and pinteresting and I found this wonderful community online.

Bendigo is a town of 105,000, a major centre in our state known for it's art gallery and gold rush history (and what you probably didn't know was the dim sim was invented here). There is so much to offer here and it surprised me that there wasn't the Montessori option. Maybe one day I might try and bring it to this community, but in the mean time I would love to start the journey and hopefully find some local Montessori inspired mummas along the way.

I have a 3 and a half month little boy named Reuben, a darling husband who loves everything I tell him about Montessori and a staffy-kelpie name Boston (who I am sure will pop up on this blog now and again).

What you can expect from this site is my experiences, reviews of books and websites, links to resources, some of my personal sewing projects, updates on our garden and hopefully some inspiration.

I'm excited. Lets Make, Grow + Share.


Get in touch: jessclairewhite -at- gmail.com
Follow my Montessori board on Pinterest: http://www.pinterest.com/aaahhhyes/montessori/ 

1 comment:

  1. Good luck with your new adventure Jess. I thought there was a Montessori play group in Bendigo, but I guess I was wrong... Maybe it was in Castlemaine?

    ReplyDelete